Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Staying on track

Sorry I haven't posted in a little bit, had other things on my mind. I recently got on Facebook and having friends from college and highschool find me again has been fun, but distracting.

I guess the distraction is good though, in a way. With Noah's 6th year anniversary coming up on Friday, being a little distracted isn't a bad thing. We are planning to do the balloon like we usually do. So hard to believe...six years. Wow, where has the time gone.

Also having some trouble lately in perspectives. That's an odd statement I guess. It's just...lately I've learned more about other people, friends, who have had their own brands of tragedy in thier lives and I am left feeling just a little depressed. Why does so much crap have to happen to so many people? Found out one of my college friends lost a baby she was carrying at 5 months, another just lost her husband and father of her children to ALS this week, I think of my friend John who was once so like Derek and me but after a horrible car accident several years back, he's confined to a wheel chair, had one leg amputated, fought so many battles with addiction and everything else. I hear about the friend of my mother who has cancer and only months to live. I hear all these things and I feel so badly that so many people have to suffer like this. I guess I felt better when I thought I was one of a few that had such hardships. It's a little disheartening to find there are far more suffering than I ever imagined.

Anyway, as my motto says, trying to take it day by day, step by step. I am trying to find the good and positive and wonderful in each day. Trying to remember to count my blessings and be thankful for what I do have and for what my friends who have been or are still suffering have. There is so much goodness in the world, so many things that are right, we must not lose focus of them and let the dark take hold. Rejoice in the small moments, connections with old friends, bright clear fall days, the beauty of the leaves as they start to change colors on the trees, the smile of a loved one, a hug, a random act of kindness from a stranger, our own health, the fact we have roofs over our heads and food on the table and jobs. There is much to be thankful for....just trying, trying to keep that as my focus.

No comments: